Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to some of the most common questions are below.
Consider these things: you eat right so that your body feels good and performs as it should; you exercise to keep your muscles strong and your body in shape; you change the oil in your car to maintain the engine; you do a little housework, daily, so that your home stays clean all month long.
A facial does for your skin what a month of exercise and eating right does for your body – it noticeably improves the skin’s look and feel. Through cleansing, exfoliation, and use of professional products, we can make a lot of progress towards improving your skin in a single session. We have the experience, techniques, products and equipment that cannot be replicated at home.
While, yes, your skin will benefit and be better off after your facial, a one time treatment will not give you the ongoing results or protection you need. Regular facials (especially with an appropriate at home regimen) will help prevent breakouts, keep your surface cells healthy, and ensure that your skin looks and feels its best.
If your main goal is to improve a skin condition (aging, acne or sun spots for instance) a series of treatments with proper at home care is necessary. While it varies from person to person, the usual frequency is every 4-6 weeks.
First time clients are required to book one of our Consultation options before receiving any clinical treatments. At that Consultation, your Esthetician will partner with you to design a Treatment Plan to help you reach your skin care goals!
At your first appointment, you will be asked to complete a brief client intake form and we will discuss your skin care goals and concerns. Your Esthetician will step out of the room so you can make yourself comfortable on the facial table. To promote relaxation, soft music is played and the lights are lowered. Some or all of the following steps will be performed, depending on your skin analysis and the treatment selected: 2 deep cleanses, skin analysis, exfoliation (removal of surface cells by enzyme, chemical or manual exfoliation), extractions (removal of blackheads), high-frequency treatment, application of mask and vitamin-enriched serums, massage, moisturizer and sun protection. Suggestions for home care and a treatment plan will be provided.
If you indicate that you have a specific concern for your skin, or that you are looking to improve your skin care, we will partner with you to achieve that goal.
That said, if you truly want to see a difference in your skin, you will have to participate in taking care of it and maintaining the work done in the facial room. Sometimes, this means a change in your at-home product use is necessary.
80% of improvement comes from what you’re doing at home. If you’re using skin care products that are not benefiting you, or that are not right for your skin type, you will not see improvement with just facials.
We will always do our best to recommend products that are customized to your skin and budget.
Chemical peels have been proven to help treat acne, wrinkles, skin spots or uneven coloring on your skin. At Flawless Skin Care & Acne Clinic, peels are customized based on your skin type, Fitzpatrick type (how the sun effects your skin/melanin production), overall skin goals, and home care regimen.
At Flawless Skin Care & Acne Clinic, all chemical peels are customized. The right formula for your skin (and for your level of home care and preparation) will be chosen at the time of your consult. If chemical peels are found to not be right for you, or you are not a candidate, alternate exfoliation methods will be recommended.
We take a progressive rather than an aggressive approach- which means we start slowly with our peels and build up the strength each time. Not every skin type can do aggressive chemical peels, but together we can find what works best for you and get you the results you desire!
Level 2 (mid to deep): These types of peels will produce moderate peeling and flaking (similar to peeling after a sunburn). 5-7 and up to 10 days of downtime and peeling can be expected. It is important to note that you will be required to pre-treat your skin at home and post care is also required ($35-$40 for a post peel kit). Changes to your usual routine may also be necessary, including but not limited to reducing exercise/sweating, staying out of pools and chemicals, away from heat sources, limiting make-up application and stopping your usual home care routine if it includes products with retinols, AHAs or anything that could cause irritation.
With all levels, your commitment to using sunscreen daily is mandatory.
- Infection or disease, especially if present on the area being treated
- Cut or broken skin
- Currently have an active Herpes simplex 1 sore (cold sore)
- If you are nursing or pregnant (there are a few safe options, with a Dr. note)
- If you have taken Accutane in last 6 months
- If you are unwilling to discontinue use of Retin-A or other prescription topical treatments 5 days prior to your peel
- If you are unwilling to use a professional, physical sunscreen daily
- A first time client- we will not peel first time clients, or client’s that we have not seen in our Clinic in over 3 months.
Glycolic acid is probably the most widely recognized. It belongs to a class of acids called Alpha Hydroxy Acids. It is a great general type of acid and works well on most skin types to accelerate the turnover of skin cells, restore elasticity and can help to improve the texture of your skin. However, just because it is the most popular, does not mean it is the best acid for your skin. Its smaller molecular size can make it too irritating for some skin types.
Jessners refers to a blend of chemicals, named for the person who pioneered it, Dr. Max Jessner. A traditional Jessners uses salicylic acid, lactic acid, and resorcinol, though there are now modifications for alternate Jessners-types of peels. This chemical peel is best used for treatment of acne, oily, or thicker skin.
Lactic Acid is best for people who have dry skin, are treating age related issues like fine lines and wrinkles. It is also great for pigmented skin (sun or age spots). This chemical is also in the AHA family, but generally causes less peeling and is good for those want less downtime.
Mandelic & Azelaic Acid & Flower Acids
Mandelic & Azelaic is great for all skin types. With its very low irritation factor but great results, it works well for fine lines, acne, rosacea, and pigmentation (especially post-inflammatory)! It has strong antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
Salicylic is ideal for use on congested, oily or acne skin types. Not suitable for clients with an allergy to aspirin.
TCA (Trichloroacetic acid)
TCA is recommended for most skin conditions, including hyperpigmentation, sun damage, acne, and fine lines. TCA is applied in multiple layers and has multiple strengths.
A facial treatment at Flawless is required prior to receiving a chemical peel. Daily use of a physical sunscreen is also required.
We use a combination of hard wax (no strip) and soft wax (strip).
We practice safe sanitation and we never double dip.
- You are using any Retinol products or AHA product on the area to be waxed. Brands to be aware of: Adapalene, Avita, Tazorac, Avage, Differin, Strivectin, Retinol/Retin A, or any type of tretinoin. Please disclose all medications and topical prescriptions to your Esthetician. Failure to do so may result in lifted skin or unnecessary irritation, post-wax. You must discontinue use of such products at least 5 days prior to your wax appointment.
- You are using Accutane. You must have been off Accutane for 6 months before you can receive any sort of waxing.
- You have any kind of sunburn, laser burn, pustules or breakouts on the area to be waxed.
- You are diabetic. However, we can wax you if you supply a doctor’s note saying it’s okay for you to wax.
- You have had a facial, microdermabrasion or peel within 7 days.
To maintain brow shape, we recommend every 2 weeks.
- Avoid hot showers, saunas and pools (48 hours)
- Avoid working out and excessive sweating (24 hours)
- Avoid tanning (24 hours)
- Do not tweeze between appointments
- Do not apply topical prescription-strength products or exfoliating serums until skin is healed (48 hours)
- Book our Flawless Brow Design service to receive a full brow consult, shaping, and brow makeup application
- Purchase GrandeBrow serum to stimulate hair growth
- See your Flawless brow expert every 2-4 weeks
- As your brows grow back in, your brow expert will continue to shape them and show you how to ‘fake it’ with brow makeup until your brows are full again!
- REMEMBER: Do NOT tweeze in between appointments!
Over 3-6 months, we will perform bi-weekly treatments along with changing your skin care at home to produce quick results for your skin.
Your first appointment is our Acne Treatment + Consultation. We will perform an enzyme treatment and extractions as well as consult with you about your skin, breakout history, supplements and foods that could be contributing to your breakouts, and we’ll put together a plan to get your skin clear.
This program requires your dedication and requires following a strict at home plan. There is no quick fix for acne, but our experts will show you the right path, educate you about how to maintain your results, and will be alongside you every step of the way!
We have treated hundreds of acne sufferers and the program works wonders for all skin types.
Over the years, there are some cases that we could not clear (improve, yes, but not 100% clear). The reasons for this are outside of our control:
- Internal issues such as leaky gut/autoimmune/hormone imbalance, etc
- Lifestyle issues such as wearing helmet or equipment daily that is hard to sanitize, daily sports or hot yoga (sweating excessively), dietary choices that do not help acne, or daily swimming in chlorine or the ocean, etc.
- Required medications that unfortunately exacerbate acne. If a medication is needed, but also causes acne, we treat the client and get their skin as close to clear as possible.
And finally, the #1 reason some client’s do not clear:
- They don’t follow our directions for home care and for treatments.
As you can see, failure to clear someone 100% is usually reliant on factors outside of our control.
However, when client’s follow our instructions, their skin improves. It is that simple!
Our Certified Acne Specialists are not doctors or dermatologists. We are a group of Estheticians that are passionate about skin care and especially about Acne!
We do not take insurance for our acne treatments or products.
However, many clients have been successful in using their HSA or FSA debit cards to pay for their services. Please ask your benefits coordinator or your HSA/FSA company if they will cover acne treatments, how much they will cover, and what paperwork they will require from you.
*Flawless is not responsible for charges that are denied by your HSA/FSA account. Please check with your FSA/HSA company prior to your appointments.
While acne is usually acquired through genetics, there are circumstances in your lifestyle that can cause or aggravate acne, too. Hormone imbalances, dietary allergies, autoimmune disorders and improper skin care can all contribute to your skin looking less than its best.
We’re here to help you wade through all the reasons for your breakouts (both internal and external) and we’ll guide you to healthier skin!
What happens next sometimes determines the degree of severity the acne can reach. Do they begin using all the wrong products (too harsh, too drying, not strong enough)? Do they overuse their products (if once a day helps, then 3 times a day must be better, right?!). Scrubbing over inflamed acne, covering blemishes with make up that has pore clogging ingredients, getting the latest prescription medication that sensitizes the skin and wreaks havoc on the body… all of these are common mistakes that are made when seeking help for acne.
We see it all the time in our clinic, which is why we’ve put together a plan that seeks balance in the skin, health for the body, and education for the teen on how to care for and manage their acne-prone skin!
You’re right to be concerned and its great that you’re looking for answers before the skin gets out of control! Maybe you suffered with acne as a teenager and you remember how humiliating and awkward it can be. Maybe you even have some scars leftover from those days and you don’t want your child to get to the point of scarring.
We understand and sympathize! The pre-teen age is the PERFECT time to start teaching your child about proper hygiene and skin care. Learning to wash their face twice a day, learning to use a moisturizer and a sunscreen daily and taking personal responsibility for their skin is a great tool for them to have.
At Flawless, we put together a different kind of plan for the not-yet-acne-prone: a twice a day customized cleanser that is completely acne safe; a moisturizer that is perfect for their imbalanced skin; and finally a daily sunscreen with zero pore-clogging ingredients to protect their young skin from the damaging rays. Sometimes, if its needed, a low percent of acne medication is also warranted.
We may not require a Pre-Teen (12 years old or under) to come in for bi-weekly treatments. Often, a change to our acne safe products and a facial treatment once a month or every 6 weeks will suffice until they reach puberty. Your Acne Specialist will advise you.
You definitely have options and we applaud you for looking out for your pre-teen’s best interests!
Adult acne is on the rise and there’s a lot of reasons that could be attributed to why this is happening (more pore clogging, filler ingredients in skin care, our sugar-rich American diet, hormones in our foods causing internal imbalances, etc) but the gist is you want it GONE!
Our Acne clientele is not all teens and we have tremendous success in clearing acne in all ages and stages of life. Rest assured, we have the customized skin care plan for you, too!
Inflamed Acne: inflamed acne is made up of pustules, papules and cysts. When dead skin cells clog a pore, pressure builds in the follicle which can cause bacteria to leak into the surrounding tissue. This creates what you know as a pimple. Because the pore is clogged, oxygen cannot get in the pore and the bacteria and inflammation continue to spread while the pore becomes sore, painful and sensitive to the touch.
Non-Inflamed Acne: Occurs when dead skin cells and sebum (oil) clog a pore. Non-inflamed acne is characterized by blackheads, whiteheads and bumps under the skin (closed comedones- they haven’t yet come to the surface as a blackhead). Non-inflamed acne typically requires stronger products and a little more patience. It can take longer to clear this type.
When a client presents with both non-inflamed and inflamed acne, we call it Combination Acne.
TRUTH: Acne is caused by an inherited condition. While some foods and outside sources can make acne worse, they are not the cause.
TRUTH: Many teens and pre-teens do suffer from acne, but it is becoming more and more prevalent in adults as well. While it’s true that many teens will ‘grow out of their acne’, the damage that can be done to their skin during the teenage years can be and should be avoided.
Dangerous prescriptions, misuse of acne products, picking and popping breakouts, can all lead to a lifetime of skin problems even after the breakouts go away. Also, since they broke out during the teen years, they are much more likely to have continued breakouts as adults.
TRUTH: Why use harmful drugs when you can treat and clear your skin without them? Accutane is poison to your body and can cause health problems down the road (we’ve heard reports from clients of seizure disorders, depression, stomach and intestinal disorders, etc).
Topical and oral antibiotics might help temporarily, but they don’t treat the root cause of acne, and they unbalance your body by destroying the good bacteria along with the bad. Retin A, a popular prescription given to acne sufferers has pore-clogging ingredients in it! (crazy, right?!)
Our Acne Program can get you clear without the cost and risk of prescriptions and there is NOTHING in the products that will clog your pores.
TRUTH: Any product on the shelf or on TV will not have a strong enough level of acne fighting ingredients and will not get and keep your skin clear. One size fits all programs (such as ProActive) sometimes give temporary results, but soon the acne is back. Our Program will teach you why this is, but the main reason is that your skin is smart. It adapts, and if your home care doesn’t adapt and stay one step ahead of your skin, then you won’t get clear and stay clear.
Also, a lot of money is spent in advertising, product packaging, and celebrity endorsements for many of the ‘popular’ treatments out there. That leaves very little money for actual good quality and high strength ingredients.
Flawless uses Professional products that contain the highest levels of active ingredients needed and is customized and adjusted just for your skin.
TRUTH: We see many clients come through our doors who are frustrated with the so-called ‘solutions’ that their doctor or dermatologist prescribed for them. A doctor will spend less than 5 minutes with you and then send you out the door with a prescription, confused and not sure how to use the prescribed product. Most likely, weeks and months later… you’ll still have acne.
- Sunburn on the face
- Open cuts or abrasions
- Bruises and swelling (Get your physician’s approval for a treatment)
- Active herpes lesions/Cold Sores
- Conjuctivitis (“pink eye”)
- Severe eczema
- Severe psoraisis
- Fungal infection
- Extreme allergic sensitivities
- Illness – please reschedule as a courtesy to the staff and other clients
- Recent Botox or Filler treatment (no facial treatments within 48 hours for Botox, 1 week for Filler)
- Recent laser treatment (wait at least 2 weeks)
- Pregnancy: if you are pregnant, your facial treatment will be modified. If you have special circumstances or restrictions, a Doctor’s note is required.
Please note that if you arrive to your facial appointment with any of these contraindications, you will be asked to reschedule. A $35 reschedule fee may apply.
- No Show: You will be charged 100% of the appointment fee if you No call/no show your appointment.
- Cancelling or Rescheduling without at least 24 hours notice: Last minute cancellations or reschedules do not allow us enough time to attempt to fill the appointment slot, therefore you will be charged a $30 fee the first time you fail to give at least 24 hours notice. Future late cancellations will incur a fee up to 100%.
- Arriving Late: Your treatment time will be shortened to fit into the time you’ve allowed. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late your appointment is forfeited and you will be responsible for the appointment fee.
- Your appointment is your responsibility: While we offer email, text message, and phone reminders, failing to receive them or read them does not waive your responsibility for your appointment time. Parents, you are responsible for your minor children’s appointment times and the fees they may incur for not attending them.
- A credit card is required to book an appointment with us. Your card is not charged at time of booking, but is securely stored to hold your appointment slot.
- First time clients should arrive 10 minutes prior to their appointment time to complete client consultation forms and to ensure your appointment begins on time. Your appointment begins at the scheduled time and will end at the scheduled time, so please do not arrive late as your paperwork does take time at the beginning and we hate to see that cut into our time with you.
- Prior to your appointment, please let us know if you are using any prescription topicals or oral prescriptions that affect your skin. If you are using Retin A or other forms of retinoids or prescription topicals, you must discontinue use 5 days before your facial or waxing treatment.
- Please let us know about any allergies or health conditions so we can adjust our treatment and be prepared.
Payment is due at time of service (or by pre-payment). Payment can be made by debit card, credit card or cash. We accept all credit cards.
We do not allow combining of discounts or specials. One per client and one per service, unless otherwise stated.
At your discretion, gratuities are typically 15-25% of your service in cash or credit form. Our licensed professionals always appreciate gratuities.
- Exchanges or store credit given on unopened & unused product within 10 days of purchase.
- Opened skin care products will not be accepted for return or exchange.
- Shipping charges are non refundable.
- All Sales are final on services, treatments, pre-paid series, and gift cards.
- Gift Certificates are redeemable for the amount notated on the certificate and cannot be redeemed for cash.
- If using a gift certificate or promotional voucher, please make that known at time of booking.
- Failure to show up to your appointment may result in your Cancellation Fee being taken out of your gift certificate.
- Gift Certificates cannot be returned once issued.
- Services offered at Flawless are subject to change- therefore we only sell Gift Certificates in a Dollar Amount (not for a specific service). We also cannot specify gratuity amounts on gift certificates.
- Children/Childcare: Due to the potentially hazardous chemicals and expensive equipment in our clinic, please make other arrangements for your children (under age 10) on appointment days. Children are not permitted in the lobby or treatment rooms unless they are receiving a service.
- Please arrange for childcare so you may enjoy your service and not disturb others.
- Violating this policy will result in having to reschedule your appointment and you will be charged for the missed appointment – NO Exceptions.
- Cell Phones/Devices: We request that you turn off your cell phone upon entering the lobby so as not to disturb your treatment or other guests.
- Pets: No pets are allowed in the lobby or treatment rooms (this policy does not apply to animals that are used to assist, support or provide service to persons with disabilities).
- We reserve the right to refuse or terminate any appointment for inappropriate behavior. If an appointment is terminated due to lewd or other inappropriate behavior, the full amount of the service will be charged. If a session is terminated due to inappropriate behavior, we reserve the right of refusal for any and all future appointments. There are no exceptions to this policy.